By Glen Sparks
Put away your work and do something important today. Test your knowledge about the World Series by taking the quiz below. This is a great brain exercise. As you know, nothing is really trivial about baseball. Answers will be posted tomorrow. Good luck!
Which team won the first World Series?
- What years did baseball skip the World Series?
- What was the first World Series game broadcast on the radio?
- Who was the first player to be on a winning World Series team in both the American and National leagues?
- In which two World Series did Ralph Terry throw the final pitch?
- Who was the first left-handed pitcher to win three games in one World Series?
- Which player-manager had the highest batting average during the World Series? (Minimum 15 at-bats)
- Who was the youngest manager to win a World Series game?
- Who led the 1919 Chicago White Sox, a.k.a., the Black Sox, in batting average during the Series?
- Of the eight N.L. teams in existence when World Series play began in 1903, which was the last club to win a league pennant?
- Who was the first pitcher to have two double-digit strikeout games in the same Series?
- Who is the oldest player to hit a home run in a World Series game?
- Which team was the first to win two World Series championships?
- What was the count on Kirk Gibson when he hit his home run off Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1988 Fall Classic?
- Who are the only two brothers to hit home runs in the same World Series?
- Who was the first National League batter to hit a grand slam in a World Series game?
- What was the first World Series game to be played on artificial turf (boo!!)?
- Who is the only pitcher to win seven straight World Series games?
- What player tied his own record by stealing seven bases in the 1968 World Series?
- Who set the record for most saves in one World Series?